Project Management Institute Chapter Awards Program
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
The information in this packet describes the current PMI Chapter Awards Program recognizing achievements from the previous year. These awards recognize and honor those chapters that have made significant contributions to the project management profession, their members and to the Project Management Institute.
What are the chapter award categories?
12 Chapter finalists are selected which includes one chapter in each size category per macro region. Of those 12 finalists, 3 “Chapter of the Year Award” winners are selected (one in each size category. Winners can be from any macro-region).
- Category I: 25 – 300 Members
- Category II: 301 – 1500 Members
- Category III: 1501+ Members
Macro Regions (12 Awards):
- North America (3 Awards)
- EMEA (3 Awards)
- Latin America (3 Awards)
- AP (3 Awards)
Who is eligible?
PMI chapters are invited to apply and submit the Chapter Awards Survey if they have met the following requirements:
- Chapters must submit the annual Charter Renewal by 31 March.
- Chapter meets all “minimum performance criteria” as outlined in the annual Charter Renewal, Chapter Charter Agreement, Catalog of Core and Extended Services; in addition to meeting or exceeding the average membership retention and membership satisfaction rates within their regions.
- Chapter is chartered for one or more calendar years.
- Chapter is in good standing with the Project Management Institute (PMI) for the period covered by the nomination.
*Additional eligibility requirements may apply.
*Charter Renewal application deadlines are subject to change every year. Chapters will be notified in advance by Chapter Development Staff regarding dates
Is there a fee to participate in the Chapter Awards Program?
There is no fee required to participate.
Who decides who receives an award?
Upon receipt of the criteria data, PMI Chapter Development staff will validate that the chapter is an eligible candidate. The Chapter Awards Review Committee consists of 8 volunteers who reviews and scores each survey application.
The Chapter Awards Review Committee reviews the surveys independently using a scoring evaluation process based on the individual award criteria. All scores are compiled by PMI staff. Top scoring chapters will be selected as finalists (as per the category criteria above).
One winner will be selected in each of the 3 size categories. The Chapter Awards Review Committee is not obligated to select a winner for an award if it feels that none of the participants meet the criteria.
When and where are awards presented?
Recognition will be presented at a North America Leadership Institute Meeting.
Why should our chapter apply for an award?
As a PMI Chapter it is important to recognize your success throughout the entire PMI community. The PMI Chapter Awards Program gathers best practices to share and allow other chapters to grow and be successful based on proven program. This program allows chapters to reflect and record their achievements for the past year.
What are the Chapter Awards Program guidelines and steps for completing the Chapter Awards survey?
- If a chapter pre-qualifies, they will receive an email with a link and a unique Token Number to access the Chapter Awards Survey.
- All responses must be in English.
- Be aware of the critical dates indicated in the email and on the site.
- Carefully review and follow the instructions and submission notes included with the Awards Survey communication (link and the survey itself).
- Seek additional advice from PMI staff regarding the process by contacting your Chapter Administrator and Chapter Partner.
- Award survey responses must be concise and in 500 words or less.
- Ask an objective person (another board member) to review the Awards Survey responses.
What are the (judgeable) Survey Questions?
- Please provide two detailed examples of how your chapter has provided member value in the last year. Examples: specific programs, initiatives, alignment to PMI core values as described above, etc.?
- In what ways has your chapter adopted PMI materials and resources within your Chapter Community to advance the profession? Examples: articles/white paper, Thought Leadership Series, webinars, alignment to PMI core values as described above, etc.?
- Briefly describe how you recruit, introduce, engage and retain new members in your Chapter community Examples: new member breakfast, introducing new members at meetings, specific new member privileges, alignment to PMI core values as described above, etc.?
- Briefly describe the ways in which you provide your chapter members the opportunity to take on volunteer roles within the chapter. Examples: using VRMS to recruit volunteers, mentoring programs for volunteer leadership roles, alignment to PMI core values as described above, etc.?
- Why do you think your chapter should be awarded Chapter of the Year?
What does my chapter receive if selected as a Chapter Award finalist?
- Up to $2,000 USD towards travel to the NA-LIM
- Recognition in PMI publications and on PMI.org
- A Branded seal to place on the chapter website
- Ceremony videos published on social media platforms
- Winners receive a “Chapters of the Year” 8x10 plaque
What is the Chapter Awards Program timeline?
|31 March||Deadline for Chapters to submit their Charter Renewals to PMI|
|April/May||Award Survey sent to eligible Chapters via email to the Chapter Presidents|
|April/May||Deadline for chapters to submit Award Survey applications through online platform|
|May/June||Award Survey application review and scoring process begins for the Chapter Awards Review Committee|
|June/July||Deadline for Chapter Awards Review Committee to complete review of all applications|
|July||PMI combines pre-qualified scores with the Reviewers scores. Award application status sent to recipients by PMI|
|September/October||12 Award finalists attend the PMI Leadership Institute Meeting-North America and the 3 winners are announced on stage during the Chapter Awards Recognition event|
Who administers the PMI Chapter Awards Program?
The Chapter Awards Program is administered by the PMI Chapter Development Department, working closely with the Chapter Awards Review Committee of volunteers.
How do I access the survey application?
Chapters who are invited to apply will click on the invitation email. Follow the instructions in the email by selecting the unique link and entering the token number provided. Both are required to access the nomination form.
Where do I send my PMI Chapter Awards Survey?
Once the Chapter Awards Survey is completed, the Chapter Awards Program Manager will be notified through the system.
What if I cannot locate the invitation email?
Contact chapterawards.pmi.org and the invitation email will be resent.
I cannot find the invitation email in my Inbox.
Check your Clutter and Junk Email folders.
What if I need help from another board member to complete the survey application?
Forward the invitation email to that board member, as the survey application must be accessed using the unique link and token number detailed in the invitation email.
When do I need to complete the survey application?
A solidified due date will be included in the email invitation. After that timeframe, you will no longer have access to the form.
I am having issues accessing the form.
Please contact the PMI office immediately if you are having issues accessing the form by emailing: email@example.com
Other Important Information - Permission
Chapters submitting a Chapter Award survey grant PMI permission to publicize the contents for the purpose of promoting and sharing the accomplished best practices. An electronic signature or scanned signature is not necessary. By submitting the survey the chapter is granting this permission. Sensitive information not for disclosure should be indicated at the time of submission.