Why is the PMP Exam changing? Every 3 - 5 years, we conduct research to understand how the profession has progressed, the impact of emerging trends, and how the responsibilities of project managers have changed. The last research was conducted in 2015 and resulted in the current PMP® Exam Content Outline.
Subject Matter Experts from leading organizations from around the world are currently working with us to define the PMP of the future. As this effort continues, we will share information here to keep you informed - whether you are thinking about earning the PMP or preparing to take the exam soon.
New Exam Content Outline coming in June
The Exam Content Outline provides the framework of what you can expect on the PMP Exam. A new version will be available in June to help you determine when to schedule your exam and how to prepare. To find information about the current exam, check out the most up-to-date Exam Content Outline.
15 December 2019 will be the last day to take the current version of the exam
A few things to keep in mind, depending on how far you are on your path to the PMP:
- Schedule your exam early. This will allow you to select the date and location that will work best with your schedule. Every project has a deadline - once you have your exam date, you can adjust your preparation to feel confident and ready to take the exam. Most people reserve their exam date for 3 months in advance.
- Pay for your exam promptly. You can only schedule your exam after you've paid for it.
- Allow yourself enough time. Make sure you are able to follow the PMP timeline:
- Once you open the application, you have 90 days to complete and submit it.
- You have one year from the date of your application approval to pass the exam.
- Sometimes, more than one attempt is necessary so be sure to leave enough time to re-take the exam before your eligibility expires (one year after your application is approved).
Did You Know?
Questions on the PMP exam are developed by project practitioners from all around the world who work together to ensure the exam accurately reflects the profession. Right now, they are working to update the exam in December.